Strait of Hormuz now open

Says Tehran as Lebanon ceasefire takes effect; oil drops 11%; Trump says ‘no sticking points’ in deal with Iran
Agencies

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi yesterday said the Strait of Hormuz was open following a ceasefire agreed on in Lebanon, while US President Donald Trump said he believed a deal to end the Iran war would come “soon”, though the timing remained unclear.

“The passage for all commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz is declared completely open for the remaining period of the ceasefire,” Araqchi said on X.

It was unclear whether he was referring to the 10-day truce between Israel and Lebanon that took effect at midnight, or an earlier two-week truce between Iran and the United States that began on April 8.

Iran, which had effectively blocked the crucial waterway, had made extending a ceasefire to Lebanon a condition for reopening it.

A senior Iranian military official told state television that only civilian vessels would be allowed to pass through designated routes with permission from the navy of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

“The passage of military vessels through the Strait of Hormuz remains prohibited,” the official said.

Trump welcomed Iran’s announcement but said the US naval blockade of Iranian ports would remain until a peace deal was reached.

“The naval blockade will remain in full force and effect as it pertains to Iran only, until such time as our transaction with Iran is 100% complete,” he said on Truth Social, adding the process “should go very quickly”.

He also claimed that Iran has “agreed to never close the Strait of Hormuz again. It will no longer be used as a weapon against the World”.

He also said Iran was removing mines from the Strait with US assistance.

However, Trump criticised Nato over what he described as an offer to help secure the waterway, telling the alliance to “STAY AWAY”.

The US-Israeli conflict with Iran, which began on February 28, has killed thousands and destabilised the Middle East. It also effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, through which about a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes, triggering a historic oil shock.

Following Araqchi’s remarks, oil prices fell about 11 percent, extending earlier losses.

The International Monetary Fund this week lowered its global growth forecasts and warned the world economy could tip into recession if the conflict persists.

Later, in an interview with AFP, Trump said there were “no sticking points” left for a peace deal with Iran.

“We’re very close. Looks like it’s going to be very good for everybody. And we’re very close to having a deal,” Trump said in a brief telephone call with AFP from Las Vegas, adding there were “no sticking points at all” left with Tehran.

“The strait’s going to be open; they already are open. And things are going very well,” he added.

Trump, at an event in Las Vegas, also described the war as a “little diversion” during his second term, amid polling showing public unease.

“We had the best economy in the history of our country in my first term. And we’re blowing it out now… And despite our little diversion to the lovely country of Iran… we had to do that,” he said, referring to Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

A Quinnipiac University poll published Wednesday found 65 percent of US voters blamed Trump for rising gas prices linked to the Strait’s closure. Only 36 percent approved of his handling of Iran, while 58 percent disapproved.

Trump had said on Thursday that talks could begin as soon as this weekend, but that appeared increasingly unlikely by yesterday afternoon due to logistical challenges in assembling officials in Islamabad, where the talks are expected.

Despite his optimism, Iranian sources told Reuters that “gaps remained” before a preliminary deal could be reached.

A Pakistani source involved in mediation said there had been progress in backchannel diplomacy and that an upcoming meeting could produce a memorandum of understanding, followed by a comprehensive deal within 60 days.

“Both sides agree in principle. Technical details come later,” the source said, speaking anonymously.

One key sticking point is Tehran’s nuclear programme. The US has proposed a 20-year suspension of Iranian nuclear activity, while Iran has suggested a three- to five-year halt, according to sources.

Tehran has also demanded sanctions relief, while Washington has pushed for the removal of highly enriched uranium. Iranian sources indicated a possible compromise, with Tehran considering exporting part of its stockpile.

Trump also rejected a report by Axios that Washington was considering a $20 billion cash-for-uranium deal.

Iran’s judiciary-linked outlet Mizan denied his claim, saying no negotiations on transferring enriched uranium to the US had taken place.

Meanwhile, a US-backed ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon appeared largely to be holding, despite reports from the Lebanese army of Israeli violations.

The deal has been praised by major countries, and the UN has commended the US for brokering it.

The Israeli military said it was lifting wartime restrictions, allowing civilian movement and economic activity to return to normal, although Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that the campaign against Hezbollah was not over.

Trump, however, rebuffed this idea, promising that the US would work with Lebanon to “deal with” Hezbollah.

“Israel will not be bombing Lebanon any longer. They are PROHIBITED from doing so by the U.S.A. Enough is enough!!!” Trump said, in another social media post.

Pakistan, acting as mediator, said a parallel ceasefire in Lebanon was essential to any broader agreement on Iran.

The deal does not require Israel to withdraw from southern Lebanon, where Israeli troops have been destroying villages and infrastructure after ordering residents south of the Litani River to flee. The area makes up about 8 percent of Lebanese territory.

Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned that respect for international law is under strain.

Marking the 80th anniversary of the International Court of Justice, he said: “Today, violations of international law are unfolding before our eyes.

“The force of law must always prevail over the law of force.”

The ICJ has recently drawn attention, including in a case brought by South Africa against Israel, alleging breaches of the UN Genocide Convention.