11 die in flood-hit Nilphamari

'People taking uneatable things'
Our Correspondent, Nilphamari
Eleven persons have so far died of intestinal diseases in the district as flood-affected people are taking uneatable food, district BNP secretary Anisul Arefin Chowdhury said here on Sunday.

He was speaking at an exchange-of-view meeting, also attended by State Minister for Disaster Management and Relief Asadul Habib Dulu.

He demanded immediate supply of food grains as relief. "People cannot be saved only with saline".

Political leaders, Union Parishad chairmen and journalists attended the meeting, held at the Deputy commissioner's office. Addressing the meeting, the state minister warned against irregularities in relief distribution. He said gardens of fruit trees, timber and medicinal plants will be raised in each union under food for works programme (FWP), beginning from November 15. Half of the FWP allotments will be made in cash and the rest in kind.

The meeting was presided over by Nilphamari DC Abdul Bari Khan.