Fishy food procurement

Our Correspondent, Magura
"I can not say the rice is of low quality but some stone chips are mixed with those".

So said a food department official about the rice procured so far after a delayed start due to internal squabbles in ruling BNP over selecting the suppliers from among party men.

The IRRI-Boro procurement in the district started on May 14 instead of April 20, as the ruling party delayed in preparing a list of 168 suppliers in the four upazilas, the food department official said seeking anonymity.

The procurement target is 5,325 MT and the list sought 5,147 MT allotments against the 168 suppliers, other sources claimed.

The seven-page list was handed down to officials at a meeting on May 14 by the district BNP organising secretary after it was okayed by a party lawmaker, who is also advisor to the district procurement committee. The May 14 meeting was held as the committee's May 8 meeting was not "favourable" to the ruling party, the sources claimed.

Even after the go-ahead, food officials were not hassle-free.

The district food controller (DCF) was harassed twice last month for declining to issue WASCs (weight quality stock certificates) to the suppliers, raising questions on quality, the sources claimed.

When contacted, DCF Md Bodruddoza however said there is no irregularity in the ongoing rice procurement drive.

Asked about the alleged harassment, he requested this correspondent not to ask any more question.

The BNP leaders however denied their involvement in the food grains supply and expressed ignorance about any wrongdoing in the procurement drive.