Diarrhoea claims 15 in two districts

30,000 attacked in Nilphamari
Star National Desk
As floodwater started receding, Diarrhoea and other water-borne diseases claimed 11 lives in Nilphamari and four in Sirajganj districts in the last two weeks.

Quoting officials, our Nilphamari correspondent reported that 30,000 people have been attacked with diarrhoea and other water-borne diseases in flood affected areas of the district.

At least 100 diarrhea patients were admitted to Dimla upazila health complex on Thursday, they said.

The Dimla thana health and family planning officer told The Daily Star yesterday that 10,000 packets of oral saline are needed in the upazila every day.

The district health department officials said so far they have distributed 50,000 packets of oral saline, 50,000 TC capsules, 20,000 pieces of metronidazole tablets and one lakh water purifying tablets in six unions of the upazila.

Some flood victims told this correspondent during a visitthat medicines supplied to the upazila health complex are found in pharmacies, they alleged.

In Sirajganj, diarrhoea claimed four lives, our correspondent reported.

The victims include Abdul Hye, 46, of Char Bhrammagacha village under Raigonj upazila; Laizu, 5, and Majeda, 60, of Bilpar village in Tarash upazila. A two-year baby died in Singrabari under Kazipur upazila but his name could not be known.

Sirajganj Civil Surgeon Dr AFM Nowser Ali told The Daily Star that one person died and 189 others have been attacked with diarrhoea.

There is adequate stock of medicine in the district and, the civil surgeon said.