Victims protest withdrawal of case by govt
At a press conference at Satkhira Press Club recently, they claimed that the families were evicted after they lived there for over 30 years by leasing the lands from government.
The press conference was addressed by Md Kawsar Ali, president of the association.
He urged the prime minister, home minister, land minister, deputy commissioner and the police superintendent to help the evicted landless people to get back their lands.
He said they were evicted on the night of March 17 by hoodlums allegedly hired by land grabbers led by a local political leader and the chairman of Fingri Union Parishad, Habibur Rahman.
The attackers damaged their houses and physically assaulted many people, they alleged. Twelve people including women and children were injured in the attack. Since then the landless families are living under the sky.
Following the eviction, a case (no 2413-29/7/03) was filed with a magistrate court in Satkhira, accusing seven people.
The case was withdrawn following filing of a petition by the Assistant Commissioner (land) court, he told journalists.
He alleged that a local lawmaker influenced the administration and the Assistant Commissioner to withdraw the case.
After withdrawal of the case, the hoodlums are now threatening the landless people to leave the area or to face dire consequences, he said. They are now passing days in insecurity.
Comments