Beanibazar still tense, police hunt on

Bail prayers of public representatives rejected
Staff Correspondent, Sylhet.
The situation at Beanibazar upazila headquarters is still tense as most of the male persons are not staying at their houses apprehending arrest.

Police earlier filed two cases accusing over 800 people including the pourashava administrator, a former upazila chairman and some UP Chairmen.

Additional police force is deployed at the upazila headquarters.

Bail prayers of former Upazila chairman Mujammil Ali, Pourashava Administrator Tofajjal Hossain, Lauta Union Parishad Chairman Abdul Jalil, Tilpara UP Chairman Israrul Haque and JP leader Ali Ahmed were rejected on Thursday by court.

Members of the Upazila Peace Keeping Committee went to meet the deputy commissioner on Thursday, but he did not meet them, sources said.

The committee would now sit at a meeting to decide on further programmes, sources in it said yesterday.

On the other hand, the DGM of Sylhet Palli Bidyut Samity, Shakhawat Ullah, has been

Withdrawn from Beanibazar.

Power subscribers in Beanibazar had been demanding action against the DGM for his alleged corruption.

The Beanibazar Palli Bidyut Grahok Audhikar Aday Committee had been agitating for long to press its 10-point demand including stoppage of alleged corruption by Palli Bidyut officials and irregularities.

Pourashava Administrator Tofajjal Hossain had filed a writ petition with the High court months ago. The court ordered suspension of realisation of extra money in the name of meter rent from subscribers.

But Palli Bidyut officials with the help of police disconnected power supply line of the municipal administrator on August 25, which fuelled the agitation resulting in clashes with police.

After the clashes, the DGM of Palli Bidyut Samity filed a case with the Speedy Trial Tribunal naming 20 people and accusing 280 others.