4 more die of diarrhoea in Mymensingh

3,000 admitted to hospitals till Nov 11
Our Correspondent, Mymensingh
Diarrhoea claimed four more lives in three upazilas in the district from November 2 to 7, raising the toll to 12.

The dead are Razia Khatun, 3, daughter of Nukshed Ali of Radhakanal village; Umme Kulsum, 36, wife of Abdul Majid of Biddtaganj village in Phulbaria upazila; Monwara Begum, 30, wife of Salim Miah of Aranya Pasha village in Nasdail upazila and Rukshana, 7, daughter of Md. Ibrahim of Barerar Par village in the Sadar upazila.

According to sources at the Civil Surgeon's office, around 3000 dioarrhoea patients were admitted to different hospitals in the 12 upazilas till November 11. They included 285 persons Haluaghat upazila health complex, 802 in Phulpur, 263 in Plulbaria, 269 in Muktagacha, 194 in Gouripur, 108 in Iswarganj, 197 in Trishal, 86 in Gafargoan, 80 the Sadar, 53 in Bhaluka.

The sources said 4108 people were attacked with diarehoea last month.

Over 300 patients were admitted to Surjo Kanta (SK) Hospital, the infectious diseases ward at Mymensingh Medical College Hospital (MMCH).

When contacted, Mymensingh Civil Surgeon Dr Md Mahmud Hossain said the situation is under control and there is no scarcity of intravenous saline (IV saline). The stock of IV saline was 850 on November 11 and more are coming, he said.