Rangpur Sugar Mills reopens on Dec 5 following agitation
The decision to resume production was conveyed to the mill authorities on Saturday by the Bangladesh Sugar and Food Industries Corporation, sources at the mill said yesterday.
The mill was declared laid off last year due to recurring losses.
Protesting the decision, mills workers and sugarcane growers launched a vigorous movement which included protest processions, road barricades, laying siege to the Deputy Commissioner's office and submission of memorandum to the Prime Minister.
The government withdrew decision in the face of the agitation.
Earlier, the authorities had decided to start sugar cane crushing from November 30 but the industries ministry stopped the move for unknown reasons.
Finally, the ministry agreed to reopen the mill on December 5, the sources said.
Comments