Fulchari, Kamarjani port protection

WDB sitting on ECNEC approved project

Our Correspondent, Gaibandha
Sandbags dumped last year at Kamarjani Ghat may be washed away in the coming monsoon, but who cares.Photo: Rezaul Haq
Work on the project to protest Fulchari upazila headquarters and Kamarjani river port from erosion by the Brahmaputra has not started this year despite approval by the ECNEC (Executive Committee of the National Economic Council).

"The project has been approved, but I have not received any order", the Executive Engineer of Gaibandha Water Development Board (WDB) told this correspondent when contacted recently.

He however said he is "expecting a positive move shortly".

The ECNEC recently approved a Tk 40 crore project for protecting the upazila headquarters and the river port. Of the amount, Tk 22 crore will be spent for Fulchari upazila headquarter and Tk 18 crore for the river port, other WDB sources said.

Discontent is growing among local people as large portions of the upazila headquarters and the river port have disappeared into the river over the years because the WDB did not implement the protection project timely, some people's representatives claimed.

"It is high time to start the protection work, but, so far no order has been received from higher authorities", said Solaiman Sarker Kachu, Chairman, Kamarjani Union Parishad.

Dry season is the appropriate time. But WDB will initiate the project work at the end of the season. The work will be affected with advent of monsoon, he regretted.

Last year, people of the upazila staged demonstrations, observed hunger strike and submitted memorandums to the local administration for protecting the upazila headquarters and the old river port.

Every year, during the rainy season, erosion by Brahmaputra turns serious and devours lands and properties, rendering hundreds of people homeless.

Solaiman said several thousand people have become destitute in the last five years.

The then water resources minister Abdur Razzak during Awami League rule at a public meeting at Kamarjani on November 29, 2000 committed to protect the upazila headquarters and the river port.

Accordingly, WDB prepared a Tk 45 crore plan and initiate work without approval of ECNEC and the Planning Commission.

The project included dumping of concrete blocks, construction of spars and riverbank protection work.

The WDB spent nearly Tk two crore.

But after the BNP government came to power, no project work was done last year, reportedly due to lack of budgetary allocation and ECNEC approval, WDB sources said.

In the last rainy season, WDB dumped sandbags with its own funds as the erosion turned serious at Kamarjani.