Justice denied as Nilphamari lawyers boycott Additional District Judges Court
Initially Nilphamari Bar Association called for boycotting all courts on November 2 last year in protest against killing of a lawyer's assistant named Tobarak Ali by unruly Judge Court employees on November 1. The association also demanded punishment to culprits.
Tobarak was killed as he protested while Judge Court employees took bribe from a relative of an accused under Women and Children Repression Prevention Act promising his bail.
However, they failed to fulfil the promise.
The association withdrew their court boycott programme from all courts except the Additional District and Sessions Judge Court from November 12, 2003. The decision was taken following suspension of seven employees of the District and Sessions Judge as per a departmental investigation. It also urged the higher authorities to take action against the Administrative Officer who is now under suspension.
Meanwhile, young lawyers have demanded withdrawal of Additional District Judge Md Mokhlesur Rahman bringing an allegation of irregularities against him. Copies of the resolution were sent to Dhaka Bar Council, Supreme Court, Law and Parliamentary Affairs Ministry and other important places.
More than two months have passed, but still no signs are in sight to break the deadlock. The ministry did not take any initiative to resolve the issue. Even the ministry did not send any inquiry team here.
Lawyers called a requisition meeting to discuss the prevailing situation on January 7 where only 27 out of 105 bar members attended. No decision was adopted due to lack of quorum. After the meeting a tense situation was created in the bar library.
District and sessions judge Rabiul Hasan told this correspondent that he had asked the bar leaders to place specific charges against the 'controversial judge,' but they failed.
On contact, both the district bar president and general secretary Advocate Anwar Hossain and Advocate Abdul Wahab expressed their firm determination to continue the court boycott till withdrawal of additional district judge Md Mokhlesur Rahman.
When asked if they had any specific allegations against him, Anwar Hossain said if any inquiry committee is formed they would definitely submit evidences before the committee. He regretted that after passage of more than two months, the ministry did not send any inquiry committee or transfer the judge.
Public Prosecutor (PP) Md Mohsin Ali told that as a member of the bar he was obliged to follow the decision of the bar. But 'considering the sufferings of litigants it is better to review the decision and give an ultimatum to the government to withdraw or transfer the additional judge', he said.
District and sessions Judge Rabiul Hasan stressed the need for upholding the dignity of judiciary. He is in a quandary because of the boycott programme. There is no judge in Sub-judge Court-1 and 2 and out of six there are only 2 assistant judges, he told this correspondent.
Court sources revealed that about 2,000 cases are pending in courts, but the proceedings are very slow for want of judges.
Additional District and Sessions Judge Mokhlesur Rahman is now on leave.
Comments