No headway yet in probe into bomb blast incident at Shahjalal's shrine

Interference by political parties hinders impartial inquiry
Iqbal Siddiquee, Sylhet
There has been no headway in investigation into the bomb blast incident at the shrine of Hazrat Shahjalal (RA) here.

It has become uncertain because of unwanted meddling of politicians.

Five people were already killed and many others are still under treatment.

People from all walks of life want arrest and punishment to the culprits.

Trials of all bomb blasts incidents which took place in the last few years are yet to be completed.

However, people are hopeful of a timely investigation into the latest bomb blast incident at the shrine of Hajrat Shahjalal (RA).

Most people believe that if the law enforcers take things sincerely and do not show inclination towards anybody, truth will come out definitely.

Ataur Rahman, a shopkeeper in Zindabazar area expressed his disappointment over the situation. He said that rival political parties are now blaming each other for the tragic incident. Everyone wants arrest of culprits and their befitting punishment, he said. Otherwise, similar incident would happen in future.

Nurul Islam, a rickshaw puller hailing from Sundarganj upazila in Gaibandha, who lives here for the last eight years said common people want a peaceful atmosphere. Any powerful gang behind the blast should be nabbed, he said. Sajan Miah, a grocer in Bandarbazar area told this correspondent Urs is an annual programme. In the shrine of Hazrat Shajalal (RA) Urs is being held for the last 700 years since demise of the great saint. But no such incident occurred here previously. Political leaders should not do nasty politics over the situation, he said. Police should be given a chance to nab the culprits, he further said.

A banker preferring not to be unnamed said allegation and counter allegation of political parties hinder the process of investigation. Every one should demand an impartial inquiry so that the truth comes out, he added.

The blast took place at about 8-30 pm on January 12 when thousands of devotees from across the country assembled in the shrine. The blast claimed two lives on the spot while three others died in the medical college hospital. About 50 others sustained injuries.

The next day opposition leaders while expressing sympathy towards the victims accused Jamaat for the incident. They also said that the people responsible for poisoning of Gajar fishes in the shrine's pond were responsible for the blast.

Awami League leaders blamed Jamaat MP Moulana Delwar Hossain Sayeedi who on many occasions spoke against Urs and Mazar culture. in Sylhet, they said.

Meanwhile, Jamaat leaders blasted Awami League leaders and blamed them for the incident. The ruling Alliance also echoed in the same manner. They alleged the opposition 'who had previous records of creating destructive activities.' Right leaning parties also took to the streets making similar allegations.

The next day of the incidence AL Presidium member and former Foreign Minister Abdus Samad Azad MP, visited the shrine and demanded a judicial inquiry into the incident. Another former minister AL leader AMA Muhit followed Samad Azad and visited the place of occurrence in the shrine.

The opposition AL also observed an 8-hour hartal on January 14 protesting the blast and killing of human lives.

The next day Finance minister M Saifur Rahman visited the shrine and declared that the culprits would be punished. But he protested Awami League's hartal saying the situation could be discussed in the table through participation of all parties. He avoided the demand for a judicial probe which was demanded by the AL.

The Four-party Alliance held meetings and processions protesting AL's agitation programme.

The Oikya Procheshta leader Dr Kamal Hossain visited Sylhet on January 15. He went to the shrine and addressed a meeting at the court point. He also strongly protested the heinous crime and demanded a people's inquiry commission to probe into the blast.

AL chief Sheikh Hasina was on a two-day trip to Sylhet since January 16. She offered 'fateha' at the shrine and joined a special prayer after visiting the spot. She also addressed a gathering at the shrine gate. She announced that the country faced anarchy. She demanded a judicial probe into the incident. She donated Tk 10,000 to the families of each dead victim. She also donated Tk 30,000 for treatment of the injured. She further told that the blasts which took place at Ramna Batamul, Jessore, Mymensingh, Narayanganj and Sylhet were similar. She blamed the ruling alliance for the incidents.

However, the Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad could not visit Sylhet as the Biman's flight was cancelled due to inclement weather. He also scheduled to visit the shrine and the injured besides addressing the party workers in the circuit house. The former president, however, demanded an exemplary punishment to culprits for the blast.

Meanwhile, a 5-member committee headed by the Superintendent of Police of Sylhet was formed to probe into the incident. Police already quized some arrested ones and talked to some other people. The results were kept secret for the cause of proper investigation.

The probe body was given seven days time to complete its task. The committee is yet to receive report of the explosive experts of Army.

Five persons who were killed in the blast are: Shahfique Miah, 11, son of Mahmud Ali Pir of South Surma thana in Sylhet, Alauddin, 35, of Beltoli, Jamalpur, Gani Miah, (maternal uncle of Shafique Miah), 35, of Islampur village under Companyganj upazila in Sylhet, Safar Ali, 20, of Baurkandi village, Sadar thana and Tamjid Ali, 45, hailing from Inatabad village under Sadar thana.

Police took 24 persons into custody several hours after the incident. Nineteen of them were released from the police station the next day after questioning. The rest five along with other injured were arrested. They were taken on remand from the court and after interrogation, they were again sent to the court. The magistrate rejected their bail petitions and sent them to jail hajat on January 18. They are: Mahmud Ali Pir, father of deceased Shafique Miah, Askar Ali, Abdul Haque, Nazrul Islam, Aziz Miah, and Riazur Rahman.