Barbra Streisand unable to attend Cannes closing ceremony after knee injury
Barbra Streisand will no longer attend the closing ceremony of the Cannes Film Festival after suffering a knee injury, despite being selected to receive an honorary Palme d’Or this year.
In a statement released on Sunday (May 17), Streisand said she was unable to travel on medical advice as she continues recovering from the injury.
“On the advice of my doctors, as I continue recovering from a knee injury, I am sadly unable to attend the Festival de Cannes this year,” she said.
The award-winning singer, actor, and filmmaker added that she had been looking forward to celebrating the festival and reconnecting with fellow artistes in France.
“I am deeply honoured to receive the honorary Palme d’Or and had so been looking forward to celebrating the remarkable films of the 79th edition,” she said. “While I regret that I can’t be there in person, I want to extend my warmest congratulations to all of the filmmakers from around the world whose extraordinary talent and creative vision are being celebrated this year.”
Festival organisers confirmed that a tribute to Streisand will still take place during the closing ceremony on May 23, even though she will not attend in person.
In an official statement, festival president Iris Knobloch, artistic director Thierry Frémaux and the Cannes team wished Streisand a speedy recovery.
Streisand is among the recipients of this year’s honorary Palme d’Or alongside Peter Jackson and John Travolta. Travolta received the honour ahead of the screening of his directorial debut, “Propeller One-Way Night Coach”, during an emotional moment at the festival.
“This is beyond the Oscar,” Travolta said during the ceremony. “I can’t believe this.”
The closing ceremony of the Cannes Film Festival, where the winner of the prestigious Palme d’Or for best film will also be announced, is scheduled to take place on May 23 at 8:15pm CET.
Comments