Meghna Trawler Capsize
2 more bodies recovered; death toll rises to five
Divers stop rescue mission after salvaging the trawler
With recovery of two more bodies, the death toll in Friday's trawler capsize in the Meghna river rose to five till 5:00pm yesterday.
The recovered bodies are of Monsura, 12, daughter of Abu Dayen of Khadimer Char under Narsingdi district and Baishakhi, 8, daughter of Jahangir Mian of Homna upazila under Comilla district.
The bodies were recovered by the divers' team. They, however, stopped the rescue mission and left the place after salvaging the trawler.
Police quoting witnesses said hundreds of the relatives of the missing gathered on riverbanks as police continued their search with trawler engine for the missing.
Some of the relatives themselves even took part in the rescue mission. Many of them were seen mourning for their relatives.
Mafia Akther, who survived in the incident, of Khadimer Char area under Narsingdi, said she along with her two other sisters were aboard in the trawler.
After the capsize, she and her one other sisters could manage to swim ashore while the body of her other sister was recovered in Saturday morning, she added.
Narayangang district administration has distributed Tk five thousand each among the victims' families, said UNO of Araihazar upazil.
It is mentioned that the engine trawler with 30 to 35 passengers aboard sank in the river near Bishanadi village under Araihazar upazila of the district at around 6:00pm on Friday after it hit a sand-laden bulkhead.
Acting Officer-in Charge (OC) of Araihazar Plice Station Sayed Nazrul Islam said five bodies have been recovered so far. The body of a child was handed over the relatives immediately after the incident.
“We are carrying on our search operation though strong current is hampering the efforts” the OC added.
Comments