HC clears way for Aug 20 presidential election
The High Court yesterday summarily rejected a writ petition challenging the constitutional validity of Article 70 and seeking a stay on the election schedule.
As such, there is no bar to holding the presidential election on August 20 following the HC order, said Attorney General Md Ruhul Quddus Kazal.
According to Article 70, a parliamentary seat would become vacant if the respective lawmaker resigns from or votes against the political party that nominated them.
The bench of Justice Khizir Ahmed Choudhury and Justice AFM Saiful Karim delivered the order and said the special parliamentary committee formed to deal with constitutional amendments may decide on Article 70.
This court cannot interfere in this issue, it said, adding that the schedule for the presidential election had been legally declared under the Presidential Election Act, 1991.
Meanwhile, Election Commission Senior Secretary Akhtar Ahmed yesterday said BNP’s Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir and LDP’s Oli Ahmed will contest the presidential election on August 20, as no candidate has withdrawn their nomination paper.
Comments