International Migrants Day: Uncertainty looms over Malaysian labour market reopening
Expatriates’ Welfare Minister Imran Ahmad yesterday said he is not sure when the Malaysian labour market will reopen to Bangladeshi workers.
“I cannot provide a timeline,” he said, adding that he had earlier mentioned it would reopen soon.
The minister said it has been deferred a couple of times so far, due to requests from Malaysian authorities.
“We have no problem at our end…If they ask, I will say I’m ready,” he further said, hoping the market will be reopened soon.
A joint working group meeting between the two countries aimed to sign an agreement for the market’s reopening on November 24-25 in Dhaka. The meeting was postponed.
On November 6, the two countries issued a joint statement following a meeting in Kuala Lumpur. In the statement, they agreed to discuss and finalise the “Draft Protocol Amending the Memorandum of Understanding 2016” at the Dhaka meeting.
Bangladesh has sent some 10.56 lakh migrant workers to Malaysia since 1978.
Malaysia suspended labour recruitment from Bangladesh in September last year, alleging monopoly by a syndicate of 10 recruiting agents and high cost of migration.
The minister was addressing a press briefing at his office, organised to inform the media about the government’s preparations on International Migrants Day -- being observed globally today.
He said the government was waiting for post-mortem reports of migrant workers who died during their stay abroad.
“We receive many questions regarding post-mortem. There has been confusion over many deaths [of migrants workers],” he said.
The ministry wants the reports so that it can “check and counter-check” the reasons behind the deaths, he added.
“Deaths of young migrant workers are disturbing,” Imran Ahmad said.
Responding to a query, he said about 40 percent of Bangladeshi migrant workers are less-skilled. The government is working to increase the number of skilled workers, he said.
About the situation of female migrant workers in Saudi Arabia, he said they have already spoken to Saudi authorities and expressed hope that all issues will be resolved soon.
He said the ministry is working as per Awami League’s election pledge to ensure overseas employment of at least 1,000 skilled workers from each upazila every year.
42 NRBS TO RECEIVE CIP RECOGNITION THIS YEAR
The government will recognise 42 non-resident Bangladeshis with commercially important person (CIP) award this year, Secretary Salim Reza of the ministry said.
They will be awarded at a ceremony tomorrow marking International Migrants Day at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is expected to grace the occasion as chief guest, he said.
The CIPs will be awarded in three categories: for sending remittance through legal channel, investment in Bangladesh, and importing goods from Bangladesh.
Besides, the Expatriates Welfare and Overseas Employment Ministry will formally launch a mandatory insurance facility known as “Probashi Kormi Bima” for migrant workers at the programme, he added.
Marking the day, the ministry will hold a colourful rally at Manik Mia Avenue this morning.
Comments